Entries to Win Afghan

Thursday, July 23, 2026

The Case of the Attempted Coleus 2026


Today I trimmed all the faded flowers off the Seven Sisters Rose which allowed the attempted Coleus to be more visible. I think the results are the best I've managed yet, but not spectacular. The Coleus are planted among the remains of the Violet and Sweedish Ivy leaves. I trimmed some of those back so they aren't obstructing the view either.

Basically, I have 4 different ones. The solid bright one is 'Inferno' that I bought this year. There are 3 dark ones (only one is very visible) and those are 'Black Dragon.' Of the other two, one has yellow edges and a maroon center, and the other is mottled green.
coleus in a garden


This view catches all four, although the dark ones are small.


How do I feel about this? Meh. I think I learned things about keeping them over the winter and can probably do a better job of having them a bigger size to plant in the spring. I'd need a ton more to really fill in that area. And I'd need to remove the violets- probably an ok idea, and cut the daffodil stems down early- not such a good idea. Plus, I really think I'm going to dig up this whole section this fall to divide the dafs and add the alliums. Also, this area honestly gets a bit too much afternoon sun for the Coleus.

However, I could do a planter for the porch, or put them in the deep shade on the other side of the birch tree. I really do like them.

For your enjoyment, here are three other Coleus planters I've encountered this summer that I haven't already shared. The first two are a set.
coleus planter
coleus planter


This is another from the Garden Club tour.
coleus planter


I decided I needed a bit of a rest today. I puttered around- did a little editing, a little gardening, finished writing one of my columns, but I didn't work very hard.

Tomorrow I have to get ready for my first big vendor show of the summer (yeah, I haven't done as many this year), so I have to stick to a work list and a schedule. Then Saturday, it's off to Arcadia Daze!

See Coleus Capers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! You inspire me, and I get to know you better.