Entries to Win Afghan

Wednesday, August 12, 2026

White-Lined Hummingbird Moth Again

 The last time I got any pictures of one of these was in 2013, so I was really happy to have one flitting around the yard today.

They move so fast you can hardly get a picture. There are several hawk moths, or hummingbird moths. They are big- 2-3 inches across. And although they look similar, the two you see most often are in different genera. This one is Hyles lineata. They are in the same family. Here are my best pictures from today. The other one has clear wings.
White Lined Hummingbird Moth


That was its back. Here is the side view.
White Lined Hummingbird Moth


And the ventral view. This one was out in the daytime and hanging around white flowers. Supposedly they like bright colors in the day, but white flowers at night. So my Moon Garden may attract them when I get more flowers there.
White Lined Hummingbird Moth


I did all the usual things. Of course went to the hardware store to exchange the wrong part I bought Monday for the correct part. Job not done, though. Zoom meeting this evening.

Many frustrating things, but that is not what this blog is about! Tomorrow I head for Paradise and the Wild Blueberry Festival with too few books because the order did not arrive.

See White-Lined Hummingbird Moth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! You inspire me, and I get to know you better.