But it was one of the most interesting places Marie and I have visited, so I'd like to share some of it with you. We took my partially fixed up trailer and camped in luxury.
First we went to Cumberland River and Falls. The walk along the river was really interesting to me with all the hanging shelf caves.
Most of the waterways there were defined by this pale sandstone- on a nice day it's very picturesque with blue sky and green leaves.
Just upstream from there is the famous Cumberland Falls. It is about the same size as Tahquamenon Falls (so familiar to many of my Michigan friends). They are considered two of the greatest "block waterfalls" in the eastern US.
All of the previous pictures were taken from the west side of the river. On this hike, I'll be coming down the east side, presumably on the same trail this picture was taken from. So I guess I was also on the Sheltowee Trace there. This year, I'll get to see more of the river upstream from the falls.
One side hike we took (which is on the opposite side of the river from the Sheltowee) was to Eagle Falls, a fun little dribble where you could wade in the pool and play on the rocks.
And we loved the bridge across the river. I'll be hiking this. It's also part of the trail.
In other news: I worked my little summer job this morning, got groceries, made myself get some things done on my never-ending lists, and sorted all the food I still have left from my NCT hike. Even dehydrated food can get stale. Some of it had become unpalatable. I threw all of the things out that even I am unwilling to eat. Nevertheless, I ended up with more than enough snack items for the hiking days on this trip. Washed the tub and packed it back up.
Most seriously, I started a list of the things I must get done before I leave for over a month on this hike. Big item on the list was to order new shock cord for the tent I want to take and a couple small items for the hike.
I have to admit... I'm always really happy while planning a hike!
![]() | See Best Buds |







No comments:
Post a Comment