Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, December 10, 2010

Polish Porcupine Ball- Revisited


polish porcupine ball foil


I really want to make some more of these balls, so I tried foil paper today. Love the result, but I learned some things. First of all, the foil paper is harder to work with than regular paper, but it wasn't brittle (as I thought it might be) when I strung it together. I made this one just a tiny bit smaller so that it's not so overwhelming on a tree.
making a polish porcupine ball


I also learned that I should use a different kind of glue for the foil. Not only did it take the Elmer's a long time to dry enough to hold the foil, it left a dull residue on the shiny surface.

How about it, you paper crafters- can I use a hot glue gun on paper? I don't have one, but that could be fixed. I have learned that people are selling these balls for as much as $40!
assemble polish porcupine ball


Here's how Maggie felt about it all...


The site where I had a tutorial about how to make these has gone belly up. Maybe I'll post it if I can find it again.


See Polish Porcupine Ball


13 comments:

betchai said...

oh, I admire you Sharkbytes, another talent coming from you. i am not very good in crafts, my work always end up messy, so I know how much efforts and hardwork and planning this takes.

rainfield61 said...

I am not a good paper crafter.

I think Maggie is same as me.

Ann said...

Maggie doesn't look like she's real impressed but I am. Those are awesome and $40, wow, that's expensive.
I would think that hot glue would cause too much bulk between the paper. You could try glue dots or a glue stick. A glue stick may take too long to dry though. The glue dots just stick instantly, you can find those in the scrapbooking section of a craft store. I'm not really a glue expert but that's my suggestion

Jackie said...

These are so pretty. thanks for leaving a link to a tutorial on how to make them.

LOL..Maggie has the same expression Mollipop has whenever I am doing anything other than playing with her!:-)

jeanlivingsimple said...

I'm no help with your glue question. But...I do like the finished product!

Julia said...

I LOVE THOSE!! They are so cool! Now I have to make time to make some too. I am usually obsessed with the glass ball ornaments but those are very addictive looking. :)

Gina Alfani said...

I think that the foiled paper is not easy to work with, although it looks beautiful.

I'd try a sturdier paper, like brown paper bags which Elmer's glue will work with, and embellish with glitters and/or acrylic craft paints that come in a variety of textures and finishes.

Chin chin said...

Those porcupine ball sure looks wonderful on the Christmas tree. I want to make some of those. Thanks for the tutorial link.

Rick (Ratty) said...

These are cool! I love seeing how stuff like this is made. The last time I was ever able to do anything like it was when I was a kid, but I've never lost my fascination for things like this. My grandparents used to do a lot of things like this. But without them around anymore, I haven't seen much up close.

Sharkbytes said...

bethcai- I really like doing things like this- sorry they don't work out well for you.

rainfield- well, Maggie may not appreciate the results much- not good to eat!

Ann- someone suggested a low temp glue gun. I don't think the stick glue is long-lasting. I'm going to try my fav for paper- Rubber Cement.

Jackie- those pups just don't appreciate our interest enough!

Jean- liking it is great! We each have our own talents

Julia- Hope you have fun with them!

Gina- I don't think anything heavier than the computer paper would roll well enough, but any plain paper could certainly be decorated all kinds of ways.

Chin Chin- Hope you have success at making some balls!

Ratty- With such a large Polish population where I am in Michigan, I can't believe that I'd never encountered these before. Is this your ethnic background (or part of it?)

Elvie said...

that's pretty, and it's expensive if you'll but it, it's really good to have crafty talent. i'm not so good in crafts. i do cross stitching though.


by the way, followed you in GFC, hope you could follow back. :)

Rick (Ratty) said...

No, I'm not Polish, but we have a large Polish population here too. I'm Irish and German. My family originally came here from Iowa when I was little. Our ethnic background is much more reflected back there. My grandma used to make things like this, I think from learning some of it from Polish women in our neighborhood.

Sharkbytes said...

Hi Elvie- well, I'm always impressed with people who cross-stitch. That takes a lot of patience!

Ratty- Ah! That makes sense. How fun that you remember seeing them from your childhood!