Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, October 26, 2008

What is My Quality Day?

 
I've decided to let the blog world in on a secret. Eighteen years ago things were very dark for us and I needed some little tangible thing beyond "the everlasting arms" of God to keep my head above the waters of despair. I learned that it didn't take much, but just a little something, and I needed to pay attention and make note of the fact that even one good thing had happened. I came up with a list of 6 Elements of a Quality Day, usually coded QD for short.

If any one of those things happened, I could make it through one more day. Even in those dark times there was seldom a day that one of those things did not happen. I wrote my QD entries at the beginning of each journal day. I've kept the system, although it's a long time since it's been a struggle to make it from day to day, just because it always reminds me that there is something to be cheerful about.

(I don't tend to be an eternal optimist... one of my mother's nicknames for me was "the little thundercloud."). I haven't faithfully noted every day's entry, but sometimes I have. It's fun to go back and see what I put down.

So here's my list: Elements of a Quality Day
1. Experience something new or beautiful
2. Do something outside
3. Learn something new
4. Accomplish something
5. Do a service for the Lord
6. If I just feel good anyway for no particular reason (in other words, it's not a bad day if none of the above happen, but I'm not feeling down about it. This prevents the logical progression, "if none of 1-5 happen then I must be depressed.")

This blog will be devoted to tracking the elements of my quality days. I don't promise to record something every day, but perhaps my little slivers of sunshine will occasionally brighten someone's day.

I decided to add this blog to my others because it is more personal than Get Off The Couch News and yet not as personal as another blog that is more for family and close friends. (long since abandoned!) If you have been invited here, or have discovered this blog, I hope you will enjoy the quality days with me.

See Trail Work Day
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!




3 comments:

Sandra Rose Hughes said...

This is a really great idea. I enjoy your blog- and I think it's a wonderful way to deal with life's down times.

vanilla said...

Yes, I have read this post; and you do bring "slivers of sunshine" into our lives.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my blog during the A-to-Z Blogging Challenge. I love the "why" behind your blog.