Except for a hike at the Trail Fest, this was my last chance to get in a good workout. Four of us quickly moved to the front of the pack. Roxy (L) is a regular, Barb (C), and Amber (R) were first timers with our group. We had some good talks about trail stuff.
This was at 96th St, which is our chapter's southern boundary. But I wanted to go farther before turning around. I think others did too, but I went on alone, because I knew I was probably going the longest distance of anyone.
I went until I hit where an old logging RR crosses the trail before I turned around. I had told the hike leader not to worry about waiting for me to return since I was going farther, but the guy (one of our Dans) who was sweep (the person who stays at the end and makes sure we don't lose anyone) did stay and I met up with him on the way back. That was actually very nice, because we hadn't had a good talk for quite a while. We have quite a bit in common.
I like this little grouping of mushrooms. No clue what they are.
Our chapter has added a couple of structural items on this section this year. One is the other trail register. I've talked about it, and showed pictures the day we installed the northern one. This just proves we have the other one. It's beside the Ed Chappel boardwalk and deck which was built 2009-2011.
Also added in 2026 are two of these little bridges with turnpike approaches over seasonally wet (and sometimes with running water) areas. You can look at these and just know that Pete built them. They are perfect.
There will be one more work project in this area this year, to put on the rest of the traction strips. Today was a good test of those because there was some heavy rain in the night and the wood was slimy. We put one strip in the center of every other 2x6 decking board. It is possible to slip with this spacing, especially if you have small feet. But if you are careful to get either the ball or heel of your shoe on a strip they are great. The Forest Service is again providing these for us. They are expensive, but they will last much better than any other option. I'll miss that work day, and the October hike.
I've done a few things to get ready since getting home, but I figured with a long hike, I'd be pretty tired.
Miles walked in 2026: 312
NCT miles walked in 2026: 122.7
North Country Trail from Jenks Rd TH to RR grade south of 96th St and back. Lake and Newaygo Counties, MI. NCT 4 miles each way, extra to get to car because parking was really full! 0.8 mile. Total 8.8 miles.
![]() | See Spirit of the Woods Hike - July 2026 |






1 comment:
That was an awesome turnout for the hike. Very nice of that guy to wait until you got back too.
Post a Comment