Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Obsessed with Maps

 Months ago, I mentioned that I hoped to do a fairly long hike this fall. I had started planning and got a decent start. But that's all it was- a start.

Now, that hike is looming! I need to leave home on September 8. Will go to the NCTA and Buckeye Trail joint Trail Fest, and then head south from there to hike.

I feel that I need to do my own paper maps. There is a FarOut electronic map and a guidebook, but I'm not really comfortable without paper too. And I'm planning to hike 350 miles. That's a lot of maps at the scale I want.

I had finished the overview maps. They look like this, and help put the trail in the landscape. That's important, because most of it is pretty remote, in the Daniel Boone National Forest, and it's not like you can just find a nearby town to help locate the trail. There are only 12 of these maps for the whole trail. They also have the elevation profile for each day.
sheltowee trace map


The real problem is the detailed topographic maps. There are 31 hiking days, and I have 26 maps done which gets me through 6 days. Long way to go.
sheltowee trace map


All that to say I spent most of the day sitting at the computer. Can you say stiff?

I also spent a good chunk of time editing. Oh, and finished cleaning up the bathroom/toilet mess.

See Off and Running to the Next Adventure

1 comment:

Ann said...

I’ve never been good with paper maps. That sounds like a lot of maps that you’ll need to have with you