Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, October 1, 2026

Sheltowee Trace- Day 16- Wildcat

 We walked a lot of hot miles today, but finally David got to see some real trail.

The largest common denominator was "Wildcat." Finally got some vistas from Wildcat Trail Road.
Kentucky vista


Wildcat Trail Road is a road and a trail. It began as a decent gravel road, but then became an ATV trail. I tried to get a picture of one of the rockiest places, but it doesn't show the bumps very well. We were passed by one ATV and one pickup truck.
Wildcat Trail Road


One more good vista. I just don't have any idea what I'm looking at though. I'm not familiar enough with the area.
Kentucky vista


We reached Camp Wildcat where a battle of the Civil War was fought. There was lots we could have explored, but we were too hot and tired to do much except take a few pictures.
Camp Wildcat Kentucky


Then we joined Wildcat Happy Hollow Road which interested me a lot. It was part of the Wilderness Road that was begun in 1795 and brought thousands of settlers to Kentucky.

It was this Wilderness Road that the Camp Wildcat battle was fought over. In fact, the fighting went on for a long time as control of the road was important to both the Union and the Confederacy. I would like to learn more about the road. It came through Cumberland Gap, the same as Boone's Trace, and a native path before that. But I'm too tired to do more about it tonight.

Miles walked in 2026: 502.4
Miles walked on Sheltowee Trace: 174.5

Sheltowee Trace, Kentucky. Robinson Cemetery Road to Olive Branch Congregation Church. 11.8 miles.

See Sheltowee Trace- Turtle on the Turtle

No comments: