Laurel Lake is a reservoir. The water is low, about 11 feet below summer level. That fits with everything we've observed about the area being dry.
The trailhead is a really nice one, probably because it's also the access to VanHook Falls in the other direction.
Can you find what we saw? It's well camouflaged in the fallen leaves.
It's another good-looking box turtle!
We did not waste the rest of the day. We went to town and did laundry.
We also hit a big box store because there were things I was out of or low on after 3 weeks.
Still, it was a fairly restful day, and tomorrow we are really taking a day off. But there is a surprise coming too.
Miles walked in 2026: 515.1
Sheltowee Trace miles: 187.2
Sheltowee Trace, Kentucky, VanHook Trailhead to Laurel Lake boat ramp, 4.2 miles.
![]() | See Sheltowee Trace- Halfway |






3 comments:
I couldn't spot that turtle in all those leaves. Laundry is a necessary evil.
Ann- sure is! I had no hiking clothes left that weren't fairly gross.
Java Bean: "Ayyy, I think humans should just give up on the whole laundry thing. Their clothes are just going to get dirty again anyway! In a similar vein, humans should give up on giving us dogs baths."
Charlee: "You could have just led with that."
Post a Comment