We ARE going to have this done, but it's taking serious concentration and scheduling of polyurethane layers.
Here are all the pieces except the drawers. They're stacked somewhere else because they have already had their four coats of poly. (And a couple of coats on the bottoms of the snowshoes!)
The big thing we learned today is that sometimes you have to break the rules. One of the doors had a section of really open grain that had just soaked up the grease over the years. After stripping and sanding (extra on both), when I gave it a gentle washing with Murphy's Oil Soap those areas were still just slimy with grease. So... I laid it over the sink, put full strength Murphy's on it and scrubbed it across the grain with a toothbrush. Then I actually held it under the faucet to get all the soap off. Put it out in the sun to dry, and by golly, that grease came out!
|See Hoosier Cabinet Day 2|
|if you like this blog, click the +1 |