Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Look Where I Am!



I said that I was headed somewhere unusual, and I wasn't kidding. Do you recognize the skyline behind my little friend? Yes, it's Philadelphia! I am here with my best friend, Marie, and her sister-in-law, visiting her son, daughter-in-law, and grandchildren.

We are all going to the Philadelphia Flower Show on Monday! I plan to overdose on beautiful green things and I'll show you some of my favorites. Until then we are entertaining two little girls and visiting. This morning we went to the playground. I really can't relate to what it must be like to grow up in a city. But the playground is just eight blocks from their row house on a very narrow street. The older girl (A, age 6) roller bladed there and the younger one (M, age 4) rode her scooter, mostly with one of us holding the bar to keep her moving along.

In the afternoon there was some quiet time with drawing and crafts, and then some of us went ice skating at an outdoor rink near the river. It was the last day of the season for the rink to be open. I hadn't done that for 30 years, and wasn't ever very good at it. But I surprised myself, and did all right. The girls are quite comfortable on skates, and even the little one doesn't need to have her hand held all the time.



Entertaining small children is not something I've had much practice with, also for the last many years. But by the end of the day I was teaching A how to crochet, and M was climbing in my lap. I know this is a very different kind of post from what you have been used to from me. But this is a very different kind of weekend. I am having a great time, with some of my dearest friends.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad to know you are having a great time, the pictures show you really are! they look fun! can't wait to see your flower pictures and all beautiful green things.

Joe Todd said...

I have 4 grandchildren ages 5-14 and when they come to visit "wears me out" but we have a good time. Interesting slide show about U.P in N.Y. times travel section on line Thanks, Joe Todd

http://tinyurl.com/cypns9

Rick (Ratty) said...

I don't think I've ever been quite that far east. The different things are always the best. Kids are usually good for bringing fun with them.

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Betchai- We are indeed having a good fun. Tomorrow- green things!

Joe- Thank you, I'll check it out when I get a minute.

Ratty- I love the old-ness of the East. Of course I am from the East originally. I have a message for Alice today.

nosolutions said...

the skyline photo needs to go into a travel magazine that's it!!

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Josh- Thank you very much! It does make a nice contrast.