Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Naked Lilies


naked lilies

After seeing naked lilies in bloom at the Gene Stratton Porter garden, and also at the Wegerzyn Garden in Ohio, I was hopeful that mine would be blooming when I got home. It wasn't a sure thing. Here's why.

Naked lilies, Lycoris squamigera, don't like to be moved. About three or four years ago I dug up a clump and split them to plant in the beds I've created to line the driveway. They've never yet all recovered enough to bloom. For the first time ever, they are all in flower together!

naked lilies

These flowers really make me happy. They're also known as surprise lilies. The surprise is that they show a mound of bright green strap-like leaves in the spring, which dies back completely. Then, in August, a naked stalk grows almost overnight, and bursts into this lovely head of flowers.

Did I tell you that I'm participating in a 1.25-mile swim on Saturday? I did a full mile today, and don't feel any the worse for it. My plan is to swim tomorrow and Thursday and then take Friday off. The only thing I'm at all concerned about is that the event is in the morning, which is not a great time of day for me. I think I'll be ok, though.


10 comments:

wiseacre said...

Have fun Saturday.
I know you'll keep your head above water.

jeanlivingsimple said...

I just ran out to check on my naked lilies. No sign of a bloom yet. Yours are beautiful!
Good luck on your swim meet.

rainfield61 said...

You have done it!

You must be very strong.

spinninglovelydays said...

Congratulations on the blooming naked lilies! And God bless on the swim. I'm rooting for you. :)

Ann said...

I've never seen this type of lily before. They're beautiful.
Best of luck on Saturday.

Unknown said...

What beautiful lilies. I think lilies are such wonderful plants don't you? So pretty, straight and perfect. I fancy treating myself to some foxtail lilies for the garden border if I can find some to buy. Now you know one plant on my wish list .. I have so many more ...........

Rick (Ratty) said...

I like the lilies. Good luck with the swimming. Swimming is not my favorite thing to do, but that's only because I'm terribly jealous of every singly person who can do it right. :)

Sharkbytes said...

John- I sure better at least do that much! Well, only when I take breaths.

Jean- they are blooming at the usual time for us, but don't know what that would be for you.

rainfield- swimming is very low impact... it just requires stamina and persistence

Ivy- I'll remember that as I swim! I think my task will be much easier than having a baby.

Ann- really! Except that they take a few years to get established they are super easy... just a bulb and they bloom when most flowers are shutting down.

Polly- Hope you get your wishes!

Ratty- I just feel bad that you are uncomfortable in the water. It's SO awesome to just float and let the water support you- sort of hypnotic

RNSANE said...

Beautiful lilies. Do they have a scent?

Sharkbytes said...

Carmen- not much