Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, January 31, 2019

Seneca Park Zoo - Birds

 
More snow and cold here. We did go out for an appointment for Irene and a few errands, but I think you should see more zoo pictures. I believe all these birds were new to me, except the Snow Geese at the end. Also, they are all from Africa, except the geese.

The first two are pretty awesome. Who knew there were starlings so gorgeous? This is the Golden-Breasted Starling. Take a look at his shoulder. The back is that shade of purple.

golden breasted starling

And here is the Superb Starling. Like our starlings it has a lot of vocalizations. Keep in mind that these pictures are all through glass and mesh, so they aren't too crisp.

superb starling

Next up, we have a wading bird, the Cape Thick-Knee. I think you can see how it got that name.

cape thick-knee

Here's a Buffalo Weaver. Weavers get their name because of the elaborate nests they build.

buffalo weaver

These are White-Faced Whistling Ducks. I know, you can't see their faces very well. But what I love are the feathers on the side

white faced whistling ducks

And, just as we were getting ready to leave, I found they have a pair of Snow Geese in a pond near the gate. I love watching them fly over in the wild, and I think I can identify them, because they sound so different from the Canada Geese. I didn't realize they have that black "lip." So pretty!

snow geese

I finished a fairly long chapter today! Now I'm only about two days behind on the writing schedule I need to keep.

See Mammals
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


1 comment:

Ann said...

That first starling is beautiful. Sure wish the tons of starlings that land here looked like that. The feathers on those ducks are really pretty too