Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, January 2, 2022

Delphos Canal Museum - Day 33

  Today was a day off, but it sure wasn't a day of rest. We awoke to 1/8 to 1/4 inch of ice on everything. It took about an hour and a half to get the cars free of ice. Doors were frozen, parts of the hitching process were frozen. Part of the plan was to move the trailer today, but we sure weren't getting on the road when we wanted to. ice on car

We were just getting ready to leave when the latch on the trailer door decided it would be a good time to misbehave. We replaced a spring inside it about 4 days ago. The spring came off again (but didn't break), and then it wouldn't catch on the door edge. The latch has been problematic, but had been working OK. Today that all ended. Our host, Dave, tried a couple of things and then suggested a more permanent solution. He said he would do that for me while I went to the museum!

They were opening the Delphos Canal Museum pretty much specially for me, so I didn't want to pass that up. Even though it was more efficient to do that on the way to the new trailer home, Cindy and I went to the museum. They had a lot of very nice displays, but I'll concentrate on more canal stuff, since I've been sharing that.

They have the remains of an actual canal boat that was used on the Miami-Erie Canal. It had eventually sunk after it was "locked" in a section of canal that had water but was cut off from other sections. Let me explain this picture. The gray walkway is build over the remains of the old boat so that people can get close enough to the wall displays to read them. The old timbers below the walkway are from The Marguerite, the canal boat. It was 14 feet wide and I think 40 feet long. (I'll fix this if I'm wrong) Marguerite Canal Boat

As far as the museum knows, this is the only actual boat from this canal that still exists. All others are reproductions.

This is a view from the other direction. A mural was painted at the front of the boat so it looks as if you are approaching a lock. (Except for the carolers.) Marguerite Canal Boat

Various artifacts were found with or near the boat canal era artifacts

Here is The Marguerite when it was in use. I think this is extra cool, because my grandmother's middle name was Marguerite. Marguerite Canal Boat

This is a model of Lock 24 (not to scale). This is the one I showed you a picture of yesterday. You can see the actual lock on the left and the spillway on the right where excess water flowed over the gate at the end, providing power for the mill. model of Lock 24 Delphos

I learned several new things, but this is perhaps the most interesting. I had never even heard of a Bump Bridge. There were bridges that were humped in the middle, drawbridges, even lift bridges, but a bump bridge could be operated without any extra person to tend it. The boat just nosed its way through and the bridge turned. After the boat had passed the bridge returned to its normal position. bump bridge

I also learned that in addition to frieght and hybrid freight-passenger boats, there were luxury passenger boats that stopped at inns for the passengers to sleep. And there were express packets where the passengers slept on board and completed the cross-state journey in just 80 hours! passenger canal boat

So after the museum and getting something to eat, when we got back to the trailer, Dave had fixed the latch. It works great now! But it was much later than we wanted. We immediately set out for our next location, and arrived there after dark... all set up now.

I am grateful that the latch broke somewhere that there was a person with the knowledge and tools to fix it. The ice wasn't much fun, but I think it was part of the plan. I did not get several things done today that I should have, but I'm too tired to start them now. Tomorrow will be a cold hiking day, but hopefully no ice and less wind.

See Foggy Rainy Canal

8 comments:

Beyond my garden said...

Love the carolers hovering over the lock.

vanilla said...

Prayer for a calm Monday and a dry pathway.

Dave said...

There’s always something interesting about every small town! Ironic that the city block the museum is on, is the only one in Delphis where the canal is filled in. Can you make these pix zoom-able?

Ann said...

We had a bit of that ice yesterday morning but a much thinner layer.
That bump bridge is pretty clever. I've never seen anything like that before.

Unknown said...

Love the history and photos. The bump bridge is new to me, too. Very interesting. So sorry about the latch and the ice, but clearly you were at the right place with the right person. Be careful in the icy/cold conditions! April

Unknown said...

Very informative thanks.

The Furry Gnome said...

These canal stories are fascinating!

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "That does look a bit brisk, not to mention slippery. Seems like a good day to visit a museum!"