Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Kinzua on a Spring Day - Day 126

  Today was a moving day, and we accomplished that, and I hiked 13 miles too. Just in case you are wondering, yes... all that is enough to make me tired.

I got really spoiled having Sue for a month. She was competent to move the trailer while I hiked. That's a skill none of my other helpers have. I knew this going into the adventure, but I want to make sure Sue knows how much I appreciated her competency. Each helper has strengths!

The northern portion of the Allegheny, at least for the North Country Trail, is defined by the Kinzua Reservoir. I saw it today from the trail for the first time this trip. The Allegheny National Forest has too many trees to give up many views, but much to my surprise there was a vista at the end of an oil well access road. It's one of the high points of the trail in the ANF- a little over 2000 feet. I think the high point of the trail is just over 2100 feet (I hit that this morning and will again tomorrow), but all you could see was trees.

Anyway, you can see a little blue triangle just right of center. That's the reservoir. Of course the hills are still brown because the trees are bare. Kinzua Reservoir view

Although it started out chilly, the day warmed to the mid sixties, and the sun was shining. Really lovely! This isn't the first mourning cloak butterfly I've seen this year, but it let me get a picture. morning cloak butterfly

These are the first hepatica I've seen on this hike. Spring is really trying to show up. hepatica

Between the view and the next 2000-foot hill, the trail drops down to one arm of the reservoir at 1350 feet. There is an osprey nest there. Not a great pic, but I got both adults- you can see the other adult coming in for a landing at the very top of the photo. osprey nest

Today was easier than I expected, given the hills.

I wanted to contrast this hike a little bit with the one from 1994. However, I don't have very many pictures from that hike with me. They weren't digital, and I've only scanned a few, and don't have all of those on my extra hard drive. Also, I know the trail has been moved in several locations. It's weird. There are places I remember as being very special, and they aren't on the trail any more. But I have to stop thinking about it and go to sleep.

Miles today: 13. Total miles so far: 1661.8

See Allegheny Rocks

6 comments:

The Oceanside Animals said...

Charlee: "Ooh, we have those mourning cloak butterflies here, too!"
Chaplin: "We haven't caught one yet, but maybe someday ..."

Ellie said...

Loved the Osprey on the nest, with daddy flying in. We are still waiting for the hepatica in southeast Michigan. Thank you again for sharing your amazing pictures!

Ann said...

Kinzua was one of Wade's favorite places. His one request were that his ashes be spread over Kinzua.

Sue Teeters said...

Absolutely beautiful....your writings, your pictures, and your positive outlook on all.

Sharkbytes said...

Lulu- keep trying! There are lots available.

Ellie- the flowers will come!

Ann- Wow! I will think of him and you as I hike by the rest of it.

Sue- thanks! You might enjoy the books about my first hike

Unknown said...

Beautiful view, and signs of spring - yay!! April