Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, May 22, 2021

20 Miles for World Vision- Oh Wait, Make that 21

  Today was my big hike to raise money for clean water. I was planning on hiking 20 miles. But there was a tree down across the road a mile from the trail. Stacy and I could not budge it. So... I got to walk 21 miles. tree in road

I met Stacy for the first time today, but I'm sure it won't be the last. She hiked about 3 miles with me, after helping me put my car at the end location. funny hiker

I tried to keep people posted about my progress on Facebook, but service out in the forest is spotty, so the uploads were usually a bit after the actual event. Anyway. Some modicum of proof I was out there hiking.
hiker


With rain and warm temperatures, we've moved into a new set of wildflowers. This is starflower- now blooming everywhere. starflower

I'm pretty sure this is oyster mushroom, but not sure enough to eat one. oyster mushroom

About 9 miles (10 actually) in, I crossed the Pere Marquette River. There's a latrine at the parking there, which was nice. Also a picnic table, but I was determined to go farther in order to make it past halfway before lunch. Pere Marquette River

Made it to the little unnamed creek. Perhaps I've never been there at this exact time of year. There is northern maiden hair fern. northern maidenhair fern

And oak fern. oak fern

The bench at Bowman Lake was my next goal. Wanted my afternoon snack in a pretty location. At that point, I had 6.3 miles to go. I was really wishing it was more like under 5. But I rested a few minutes and had a good drink. Got going again, and I was fine. Bowman Lake

Swamp buttercup in a little wetland. swamp buttercup I knew if I made it to a small bridge there wasn't far to go. Last rest there, only 2 more miles. When I hit the Melendy and Danaher logging RR berm I knew it was only another 0.6 miles. First lupine of the year! lupine

Made it to 76th St Trailhead at 5:35. Serious hiking day tired, but nothing hurt more than expected. I had stashed a bottle of pop in a cooler with ice in the car. Yes! And sandals to drive home in. Yes!

It was hotter and more humid than I like, but it sure could have been worse. The day stayed partly cloudy, and it mostly hung around 83 degrees in the afternoon. Not pleasant, but I'm adjusting fast, and it was tolerable. Now I'm showered and fed and happy. Bed soon, I think.

Thanks to all who supported me. I raised $1375. In the top 100 fundraisers!

Centerline Road, west of the trail to the North Country Trail, and NCT south from Centerline to 76th St. Lake County, MI. 21 miles

North Country Trail miles for 2021 is at 309.

See More Blazing More Botany

5 comments:

Trina Ball said...

Terrific! Finished at 5:35. What time did you start, Joan? Today Joe and I walked 6+ miles. You inspire me to increase that little by little. Years ago when you started hiking, did you have a training app / program or website to help with your progress? We've never used one, but I'm thinking it might be helpful.

Sharkbytes said...

Hi Trina- I've never used a training app. Sometimes I track my miles, sometimes not. I'm kinda flaky. I started on the trail at 9:03 am. Well- 8:46 from the car. So we did that first road mile in 17 minutes. I know I was going slower at the end of the day.

Ann said...

Great job. I don't know that I could do 20 miles let alone doing them in that time.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- It's been 11 years since I've done that many in one day.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "Ooh, that tree looks like an obstacle that not even Dada's Subaru could go over! And he's accidentally driven it over a curb more than once!"