Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, May 9, 2022

Max and Peaches - Day 160

  For a few days, a trail lover named Max is spotting me in the mornings. We put my car where I want to finish for the day. Then he takes me back to where I want to start to hike. Today, he and Peaches (who turns one year old tomorrow) hiked in with me for a while before returning to their car. It was fun to have someone hiking with me for a bit. man and dog

The day began in Hoxie Gorge State Forest with trail that's all new since I was here last time. It was beautiful, but the creeks are in shadow and the pictures aren't great. What was great was some of the vistas from field edges. farm vista

I love these gnarly old, old maples. old maple trees

Had to wade Trout Brook. It wasn't deep. The afternoon was warm, and clean water is such an improvement over mud, I just walked through. The biggest drawback to warmer weather is that I don't like heat very much. And it's going to get much hotter. I probably need to start carrying sandals for wading, but it feels good to cool the feet. wide stream

Best of all? The focus isn't perfect, but I got a picture of a wood thrush! wood thrush

Today was difficult. There weren't any really big hills, but I climbed and descended 100-400 feet over and over and over. I don't know how many times. And the first part of the day had a lot of spring cleanup still needed, and the footing was difficult too. I shopped after hiking. Remember, I have to take care of myself now- probably until I get to North Dakota. Then I came back to the trailer and did all the evening things. I need to get my act together and toughen up. I can do this!

Miles today: 15.4. Total miles so far: 2060.

See NCT Tongue Twisters

3 comments:

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "Our Dada says, yep, looks like New York. I think he's vicariously hiking through his old stomping grounds with you!"

Ann said...

You were in good company for the morning.

Sharkbytes said...

Lulu- You and Peaches could have had such fun!

Ann- yup. Max is nice and Peaches is a sweetie.