Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, July 1, 2022

Entering Month 8 - Day 213

  It's really hard to accept that I've been doing this activity for 7 full months. I am a little weary, but I'm not giving up, although it's certain that I will not finish in 12 months. I'm hoping for a little less than 13. (And also that winter doesn't slam Michigan's UP too early!)

Today brought nice weather: high was around 80 with a light breeze. But we had me hiking at 7:40, so I got in some good miles before it even got that warm. North Dakota sky

I saw lots of birds, particularly ducks, but didn't get good pictures. You'll have to settle for some poor ones. Let's begin with a poor picture of a muskrat. I am sharing it only because it's the first one I've seen here. muskrat

Most of the ducks I saw were blue-winged teal. They are easy to identify in flight. Far away on the water, not so much. (Although I'm no great birder, and even less so with ducks) But on the computer I can tell this is a pair of blue-winged teal. blue winged teal

This is really the best wildlife picture of the day, and it's pretty cool. I thought it was just a mama mallard with her babies, but these are also blue-winged teal! blue winged teal ducklings

I've also identified the Black Tern, but no picture.

I want to show you some of the canal infrastructure, but I need to wait one more day to do that. I've pretty much finished this canal, though.

Today's lonely North Dakota picture is yet another failed farm. old farm buildings

My leg is better. You know the cure for anything is to walk on it for 15 miles. That said, I've been icing it since 2:30. That makes a big difference.

Miles today: 15.0. Total miles so far 2558.9.

See Western Meadowlark

1 comment:

Janine Lim said...

You made me think of this song.....

Someday you're going to make it home!!

"Weary traveler, restless soul
You were never meant to walk this road alone
It'll all be worth it so just hold on
Weary traveler, you won't be weary long
No, you won't be weary long
You won't be weary long (weary long)
Someday soon we're gonna make it home
Someday soon we're gonna make it home
Someday soon we're gonna make it home
Someday soon we're gonna make it home"