Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, February 20, 2023

Barking Up a Tree

  It's up to you whether you will bark up a right tree or a wrong tree!

Yes, it's another quiz day. I never used to pay any attention to the bark of trees, but I've learned that you can very often identify a tree by the bark alone. That said, young bark is different from mature bark, and old tree bark may be different from either of those. Here is a selection of trees of about the same age. First try... see if you can identify them "cold."

Underneath the pictures, I'll give you multiple choice options to make the task a little easier. Come back tomorrow for the answers.

A:


B:


C:




D:




E:


F:


G:


Here are the multiple choice if you'd like a little help:

A: (1) Slippery Elm (2) Sugar Maple (3) Green Ash

B: (1) Green Ash (2) Shagbark Hickory (3) Basswood

C: (1) Eastern Hemlock (2) Norway Spruce (3) Sugar Maple

D: (1) White Pine (2) Jack Pine (3) Red Pine

E: (1) Black Locust (2) Honey Locust (3) Hawthorn

F: (1) Black Cherry (2) White Pine (3) Hackberry

G: (1) American Beech (2) Basswood (3) Silver Maple

Good luck! I hope you will play- nobody is grading the papers, and you can all have stickers and cookies.

In other news: I continued to work on projects. I now have 600 photos in the database. That does not mean they are all properly categorized, but they are at least entered with labels and dates. I have a total of 13 chapters of News from Dead Mule Swamp recorded. I walked.

See Milkweed Music

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, here are my guesses. These were done without looking at the multiple choices. Not even going to guess some of them and make a complete fool of myself! A-green ash B-shagbark hickory D-red pine F-hackberry

Unknown said...

It's Michelle O. Doesn't show on my end (says unknown) and not sure how it works on your end.

G Roys said...

Gary R... I'll say A-1, B-2, C-3. D-3, E-2, F-3, G-2. Lotta guessing on my part, though.

Ann said...

I could venture a guess but that's all it would be is a guess. I'm cheating and just waiting for the answers.

Doug said...

A1,B2,C3,D3,E1,F3,G3. Several wild guesses in there!

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "Ooh, which ones have squirrels up them? That's what I want to know!"
Charlee: "Our Dada recognized the ash trees because they had tons of them around their house in New York, and he claims he knows which ones are pine trees, but he's not so good at identifying exactly what kind of pine they are."
Chaplin: "They all look good for climbing if you ask me!"

AsylumNut said...

A = Green Ash
B = Shagbark Hickory
C = Norway Spruce
D = Red Pine
E = Honey Locust
F = Hackberry
G = American Beech

AsylumNut said...

Check that
C = Eastern Hemlock (I think)
;)

Sharkbytes said...

Thanks for playing! Asylum Nut got them all if I allow the correction.