Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, February 8, 2024

Before the Rain

 This was before the rain. It is still before the rain. So far, precipitation is not happening, but the wind certainly picked up. It's blowing quite strongly out there!

Although I should have been working on the project (I did a little bit), there was no way I was staying inside when it was 58 degrees and the sky looked like this in February.
blue sky with clouds


I did the same old, same old hike north from Timber Creek. It seems like I'm always hiking there, and trying to find some things to show you that I haven't before. However, I can't even find a post now with the same old things, so I'll show you some of them again.

For one thing, not unique to this section, is that today I can show you my shadow. This is a rare item in west Michigan in February.
shadow of hiker


I love this little dip where the trail runs along the edge of the bowl.


One thing I may not have mentioned before is that in the three miles of trail from Timber Creek to 8th St. you climb 200 feet (net- you go over 8 small ridges so there is more total gain). If I had gone one more mile, I would have added 125 more feet of elevation.

I really need to try to learn some of the mosses. Meanwhile, I'll just say they are green and pretty, and reproduce nicely!


This is the best historical feature of the section. The trail follows an old Lake County Railroad logging line for 0.35 miles.


I arrived home just as the wind started to pick up.

Tomorrow, I need to get serious about working on the project. I can't 100% finish this before next week because I have something on order, but I can get the mess out of the kitchen if I buckle down and keep working.

Bad news for the project is that I've found a new-to-me book series that I really like and is available on my library app.

Total miles hiked in 2024: 91.6 of which 13.7 is North Country Trail.

North Country Trail, Lake County, MI. Timber Creek TH to 8th St. and back. 6 miles

See Snowshoe Trail, No Snow

4 comments:

Ann said...

It was up in the 50's here yesterday too. In February, I'll take it.

Doug said...

Do tell what the new book series is. I'm always interested in book recommendations. Been reading Dorothy Sayers, which I think I heard of from you.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Java Bean: "Ayyy, we hardly remember before the rain at this point! What a week it has been!"
Lulu: "What is your new series? Our Dada says he is looking forward to getting to the next book in The Expanse, but apparently he has to finish wading through books he acquired in 2019 first. He says his TBR list is a bit excessive, whatever that means ..."

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- warm again today, but the wind was too strong to even hang laundry out!

Doug and Dada- The Butch Karp series by Robert Tanenbaum. Rough and a little raunchy in parts, but snarky and honest, and he uses big words without apology.