Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Snowshoe Trail, No Snow

 Mostly, I worked on THE project today. But mid afternoon, Cathy and I took a walk at the Ludington Pumped Storage Project Trails and to the Mason County Campground.

It turns out I guess I haven't been out there for nine years! Well, I got discouraged because they turned the area into a huge disc golf venue with four courses. I'm not against disc golf, but it totally obliterated the trail. A few years ago, a friend of mine re-established it as a snowshoe trail.
snowshoe trail marker


It's really a wonderful trail. There is a LOT of topography in a short distance. I didn't take many pictures because everything is brown. There's no snow, and there are no leaves. After hiking so much in the last two years, much of it in the winter months, I'm particularly tired of brown.

Anyway, here is one of my favorite features of the area- one of the biggest glacial erratics we have around here.
glacial erratic


We did a loop by going back to the car on the access road. Total of 3.2 miles. On the road we passed some interesting white birch.
white birch


Total miles hiked in 2024: 85.6 of which 7.7 is North Country Trail.

Ludington Pumped Storage Project and Mason County Campground. Connecting trail and additional roads. 3.2 miles

See Pepper and Salt

2 comments:

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "That looks like it might be a 'Bigfoot Crossing' sign! And that birch looks like it's doing the Twist!"

Sharkbytes said...

Lulu- when wearing snowshoes, everyone is a bigfoot. Ask Dada. I'll bet he has worn snowshoes.