Entries to Win Afghan


If you like my books, essays, etc. you might want to put your name on this private email list (no spam ever) for advance notices, coupons, and occasional freebies. Tell your friends too! Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. The most recent issue contained Chapter 2 of Dead Mule Swamp Druggist. Sign up, and don't miss out!"

Saturday, March 13, 2010

A Diversity of Wildlife


porcupine tree

Today was the monthly hike for our North Country Trail Chapter. We hiked a very geologically interesting section from High Bridge to Leitch Bayou. If you want to see more about that, check out Interesting Geology Above the Little Manistee. But I have some critter features to show you.

We passed two active porcupine trees. Remember, in the story about The Wagon Road, that I said the opening under the tree could not be a porcupine? Now you can clearly see why I knew that! Yes, that's all poop. Each pellet is about the size of a long pill capsule. We didn't see a porky, but while we were standing around this tree, some new pellets fell down onto the pile!

pileated woodpeckerThis isn't a great picture, but I'm excited about it. It's the first time I've ever gotten a picture of a pileated woodpecker. They are huge, over a foot high, but they are very shy. You might say that I cheated, since this was taken through the window of a house (and a screen, which is why it's hazy), but I don't really care today, I'm just glad it came to pound on their tree when I had my camera. I've been saving an interesting post about this woodpecker, so maybe we'll do that tomorrow!

young praying mantis

Finally, this is really cool! This is a fairly newly hatched praying mantis. It is about 1/2 inch long (not counting the antennae). Maggie brought this in from the woods on her nose! The color is a little weird in the picture. It was really a clear spring green, not that overcooked asparagus color. I put it on a piece of styrofoam to try to get enough contrast to show it off. I realized what it was because once, long ago, I happened to be in the right place at the right time to see a whole nest of baby praying mantises come boiling out of a crack in some wood. As they grow, they shed their skins, because insects have an exoskeleton.


See Monsters and Fairies for an adult praying mantis


11 comments:

rainfield61 said...

You have a good partner to show you some of the wonders.

Ann said...

Oh wow, when I first looked at that last picture I thought it was some kind of picture. Had I not read on I would never have guessed that it was a praying mantis.

RNSANE said...

Whatever critter that is makes plenty of poop!! It must be several doing bathroom duty!

What a beautiful woodpecker. And the praying mantis certainly had a ride, didn't it? What other things does Maggie bring home?

Lin said...

That must be a good house by the looks of all that poop!

I like the praying mantis--I never seem them so tiny. Did you know they eat their brothers and sisters?? I love that story--good for the kids to know that kind of stuff. ;)

Poetic Shutterbug said...

The woodpecker shot, wonderful as is the praying mantis even though it gives me the shivers :)

Lynne said...

great pictures! I especially love the woodpecker photo, excellent (even through the screen)! :-D

VanillaSeven said...

Interesting information about the Praying Mantis. I wish I can see the process myself. How smart Maggie is :)

Ratty said...

I smiled with delight when I saw the woodpecker, and it grew wider with the picture of the praying mantis.

Sharkbytes said...

rainfield- Everyone should have a hiking club! As much as I like going alone, having extra eyes and points of view is always interesting.

Ann- well the color of the picture is goofy, and it doesn't look right in the photo, but that is what it was.

Carmen- just one porky up in that tree... well maybe two! The poop just collects at the bottom of the hollow all winter.

Lin- Oh my! I know that they will eat just about anything that gets too close. Do you know the Cautionary Tales for Children? Sounds like a theme for a new one!

Lynne- I just feel so happy to have a picture at last, that I took!

Vanilla- Do you have cicadas? Their shed shells are easy to see.

Ratty- It was a great wildlife day!

Evelyn said...

OMG! I thought we had problems with termites! They will take down a tree, or a house, but not with holes THAT big!

That's the stuff cartoons are made of! Wow, a real woodpecker! Cool! Feeling badly for the tree. It didn't look dead. But, I guess it is now!

Secondary Roads said...

I've never seen a pileated woodpecker. Thanks for sharing that. My grandpa always cautioned to never kill a porcupine. He said, "If someone is lost in the woods they can always kill it with a stick and have something to eat."

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin