Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, December 28, 2012

Mail Room

 
Today was my first work day at the Ludington Daily News mail room. Don't think mail. Think stuffing newspapers with all those advertising flyers you get every weekend.

mail room

Let's just say this is an amazing machine when it is working right. Today wasn't one of those days.

It can add up to 8 inserts to a paper. Actually, more, because if several have already been pre-bundled they can count as one.

We did about 10 different runs for different papers, with a total of about 13,000 papers stuffed with inserts for Saturday delivery.

The machine acted very very badly today, making everyone a bit nuts. They assured me it isn't usually like this.

It was interesting, and since it's all new and I am still learning things I didn't find it boring. However, 11.5 hours on my feet means I'm more than ready for bed.

Same time next week.

if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


10 comments:

vanilla said...

Long,long day.

Lin said...

Wow, that IS a long day! Will your shift be that long all the time?

The Retired One said...

Wow, tough job! We used to live downstate and have been to Ludington, but it has been a long, long time!

Ann said...

Wow, that is a long day. Hope that's not a typical shift

Secondary Roads said...

I won't say that looks like fun, because it doesn't. Here's hoping you survive. Fortunately, you are made out of very good stuff.

Tony Laplume said...

This is the kind of job I want.

john bain said...

That is a looooong day Joan.
Happy New Year!
John

Sharkbytes said...

vanilla- the novelty of it kept me going yesterday. I suspect that effect will wear off.

Lin- probably not. The machine isn't supposed to shut down ever 5 minutes.

Hi Retired One- I think you would like the changes.

Ann- They say not. We'll see!

Chuck- survival would be good. I hope to do a little better than that, but it's a minimum wage job. I don't think it's going to make it to "fulfilling." It's just cash

Tony- Are you serious? It will probably soon be mindless, which has benefits, but it's minimum wage.

John- Thank you! Yes it is. I just think about dollar signs to get me through. It's not even close to "worst jobs I ever did," so I'll live.


RNSANE said...

Reminds me of my long days of standing in the operating room. I needed those support stockings. Looks like you don't get much outside view in there!

Tony Laplume said...

As bad as the following statements sounds, it's still true: it's better than what I've got right now.