Entries to Win Afghan


If you like my books, essays, etc. you might want to put your name on this private email list (no spam ever) for advance notices, coupons, and occasional freebies. Tell your friends too! Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Previous gifts include a short story, a poem and a half-off coupon for the newest book. Sign up, and don't miss out!"
Winners are: 3rd place- e-book of your choice: Wendy Nystrom. 2nd place- book of your choice, paper or e-book: Sue Ann Crawford. Winner of the afghan: Elaine Hull.

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Beautiful but Sad

 
Took an evening road walk. Anyone who drives has a good idea of the number of bugs that meet their maker on windshields and bumpers. However, it's sad when those are beautiful dragonflies.

The first one I found was still alive (probably too injured to recover) but every time I tried to pick it up it curled so I laid it back on the ground to take the picture. That certainly demonstrates how camouflaged it is, despite the bright blue and green colors. I'm pretty sure this one is a common green darner. Those big ones that look like helicopters as they hover over ponds.

dragonfly

Less than a mile later I found a different one. This one was dead, so I can provide a slightly better background for viewing. I think this might be a shadow darner. I have a basic identification book, but I don't know enough yet to really look for details other than the basic pattern. I should have taken pictures of the abdomen, eyes, etc. But this one was only a little smaller than the first one.

dragonfly

They are such amazing and lovely insects. They don't bite or sting (unless of course, you are a smaller insect they can eat!), so even a live one won't hurt you.


See Yellow Legged Meadowhawk
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


4 comments:

Ann said...

That first one does blend right in to the pavement, especially the wings. They have the most fascinating wings. I occasionally find them floating in my pool.

vanilla said...

That is so weird that you and I both posted a picture of a dead critter on the same day, and so similar, too.

Lin said...

They are so pretty--why were we so scared of them as kids??

Hobbes was out in the yard the other night and there were 3 buzzing his head. He didn't even care. It was funny to watch.

Secondary Roads said...

I love to watch them.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin