Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, March 24, 2022

The Magic Continues - Day 114

  Beautiful weather today! The last one for a while, so I made it a point to enjoy. But it sure was easy. Another gorgeous section of trail. (A lot of road walk, but) this is more of State Game Lands 95. Starting at Dead Crow Bridge. Dead Crow Bridge

These three miles are filled with mystery and fantasy. photo label

The bridge spans the North Branch of Bear Creek. Can you feel the magical quality of the waters?
Bear Creek


There's a place in New York on the trail called Rock City, but Pennsylvania has one too. Rock City

At the other end of this stretch is Bear's Mouth Bridge. Bear's Mouth Bridge

It's just above the confluence of the North Branch with Bear Creek. I ate lunch here. How perfect is this? Bear Creek

And today, I crossed the Allegheny River. Big water. Big bridge. 1140 feet. Even so, it is not the longest bridge that is part of the North Country Trail. (Other than the Mackinac Bridge, I think that would be the new Crown Point Bridge at 2200 feet) Parker Bridge

Just a comment. The last time I hiked this magical section, it was winter 2005. I guess the magic wasn't as strong then... or we were just watching our feet more carefully. But I want you to know that not only did I talk Marie into hiking in the winter, I got her to do acrobatics, since the Bear's Mouth Bridge was missing. We were at least provided with one stringer. I was very happy to find a bridge there today. It's a wonder Marie still follows me to the woods. crossing river on a log

Miles today: 16.5. Total miles so far: 1498.3.
See State Game Lands 95

3 comments:

Caboose said...

I need to revist SG 95 again...it was a downpour rain when I traveled through so I didn't get many pictures but it was very magical indeed

Sharkbytes said...

Caboose- Yeah, crummy weather always ruins some of the magic

Unknown said...

Magical...right out of a Tolkien novel. Great photos, Joan - suchva treat to follow along. April