Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Long Trail - Day 197

  As it turns out, I didn't end up with many good pictures from this day. A lot of the Long Trail is closed in by trees. There were hints of views and a lot of ups and downs. Someone had left a greeting on an artist's conk fungus. hello on artist's conk fungus

I caught a nice picture of a tiger swallowtail butterfly visiting Clintonia. tiger swallowtail

And the one real view is of Chittenden Reservoir where there are open rocks and no trees to obstruct the scene. Probably every hiker has this same picture, because it's the only one in this stretch worth taking. Chittenden Reservoir

I got the answer to where there is reliable water. A good creek is always near a shelter. Stated another way, after I got back to Mary's, she asked me the frequency of the shelters. The answer is, there is a shelter at most every reliable water source. This spaces them rather randomly, but you can count on water.

I camped just past an unnamed stream that flows to Chittenden Reservoir. It might also be reliable, but there was not a shelter there. I don't care for the shelters to camp in anyway. I prefer my tent.

Miles today: 10.6. Sunrise Shelter to Chittenden Tributary. Total miles so far: 2443.8.
See Gilespie Peak

No comments: