Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Hills and Rocks - Day 323

  Today was shorter miles, but am I ever glad. It was constantly going up and down with lots of rocks. I was again reduced to 2mph.

There were numerous jaunts down and then back up beside rocky creeks. This is Miller Creek.
Miller Creek


It was again 24° when I began hiking. Frost decorated every little edge.
Frosty leaf


The sun quickly warmed things up, and it always brightens the spirits.
trail in sun


I'm moving upstream along the St. Louis River now. Finally, I made it past the US 2 Bridge.
US 2 bridge Duluth


Just a pretty scene. More rocks, more hills. (OK, not in this picture. You'll have to trust me.)
trail through birch trees


The big oops of the afternoon is a trail reroute. It's noted in the trail conditions, but I didn't understand that it meant the trail no longer went past where I left my car! I called Annie, and she helped me figure out where the trail was going to take me. That turned out to be not far from the car at all. So it's all good. But it's strange to be standing on marked trail and at the same time realizing that it's not at all where you thought it was going to be!

By the time I finished, I was pretty far upstream on the river. And tomorrow, that waterway will look much more like a river and not so much like a bay.
St. Louis River


I hope the terrain is easier tomorrow. The map looks promising, although I will have to ford one creek. I have to do a full 15 miles, and I need them to be easier than today. I'm really tired tonight.

And, of course, access to my web sites is being wonky, and I couldn't upload these pictures in the usual way. I hope that clears up by tomorrow. The help chat was no help.

Miles today: 12.7. Total miles so far: 3726.0.

See Stiff

3 comments:

Ellie said...

Are you still in Minnesota?

Ann said...

That was a cold start to the day.

Sharkbytes said...

Ellie- yup- lot of miles in this state

Ann- It's hard to dress for temps that go from 24 to 50