Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, January 19, 2023

A Tale of Trees

  I took my longest walk yet since I came home for this break. At the most it was a half mile, probably less. But it was out back on natural surface. I can't say it felt good, but it didn't feel too bad.

The first thing to note is the larger tree, a white pine, in this picture. (With rain spots on the lens) The first link below shows it in 2011 and points out that I ran over it with the lawnmower in 1992, so I can guarantee it was 4 inches high that year. Now it's pretty big, and it has a Scots pine friend. I don't remember how old this one is. Maybe 4 or 5 years. A lot of those come up in the back field, and a lot of them die soon after they reach this height. We'll see what this one does.
white pine


The other notable change in "my" trees is the grove that I planted around 1990. These trees are now mature enough to create a needle carpet beneath them and a haven of sorts. You can see a picture of them in 2009 at the second link below. Deer and turkeys take refuge there.
white pines


This blog is supposed to be all about quality, but I have to be honest with you and tell you that "my kingdom" (the open space I was free to walk on) has shrunk considerably in the past few years, and we've heard rumors of another coming intrusion.

In other news: I'm using that table top I cleaned yesterday to do a big sorting project. It's not quite done, but there is hope.

P.S. Wow! My grandmother would have been 140 today.

See Report on the White Pines
See The trees are growing

No comments: