Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, June 13, 2024

Cleaning the Driveway Flower Bed

 I've been working on cleaning up what I call the "driveway bed." This is the largest part, section 1. It's always been kind of a mess, even when I got it weeded, because it had no plan. But at least, it's clear for this year. First time in quite a while. The beds are so easy to weed if you don't wait years between each time. Maybe that will motivate me.
weeded empty flower bed


I did show you this plant when it started to bloom in May, but then it was surrounded by grass. Now it gets to show off. This is a perennial purple salvia, probably Salvia nemerosa, or wood sage. It will bloom all summer if you keep it deadheaded. I have no idea when or where I got it. I don't always get the plant records taken care of. Apparently, Marie gave me this.

You can see a bumblebee checking it out. No picture at all, but I was standing there this morning, thinking about a plan, and along came a hummingbird who stuck around and enjoyed a little snack. That's pretty cool, because I don't see hummers here very often.
wood sage


And here is the almost free coreopsis I got last summer. It's covered with buds and looks quite happy.


My brain is kind of spinning with a plan that won't cost very much. I might buy one plant, but a lot of the plan can be created with things that I have other places and can be moved or split.

Also out there is this tall sedum that looks pretty healthy. I have an 'Autum Joy,' a pretty common one. I'm not sure if this was part of that one, or something else, maybe, if it blooms, I'll be able to narrow it down. I moved it out there quite a few years ago. [edited- found my record for this and it says it's one I dug up in the woods in New York!]


You know the drill. I edited, and edited, and worked a little bit in the garden.

Soon it will be time to show you new things that are blooming.

See The Rest of the Freebies

3 comments:

Ann said...

That's a nice looking flower bed. I like the wagon wheels along the back.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- me too!

The Oceanside Animals said...

Charlee: "Bumblebees! Hummingbirds! We approve!"