Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Natural Arch and Cliffs

 September 12, 2019. First we moved our campsite from General Burnside State Park to the Koomer Ridge campsite in the Daniel Boone National Forest.

But in the afternoon, we went to Natural Arch, one of the most easily accessible and thus more visited by tourists. However, we did manage to find a way to make it more of a hike in to see it than just driving into the state park access. I looked for my file of info from that trip, but haven't found it yet, so I can't tell you specific trails we took unless I remember. I do recall a few of them, but not this one.

Anyway, we ended up at Natural Arch (there are many similar names, but this one is a state park). You can see it from an overlook on your way there. I am showing a longer view so you can get a sense of the landscape, in addition to the actual arch.
Natural Arch kentucky


I'm pretty sure we arrived at the bottom of this arch. But one of the neat things about this one is that you are allowed to both walk under it and on the top.
natural arch kentucky


Here are the steps going up.
stairs up natural arch


It was late afternoon when we got back to the campsite. After dinner we walked the very short Cliffs Trail that goes beside the campground. Just because it was short did not make it less spectacular! I used this for my phone wallpaper for quite a while. Maybe I'll put it back on.
cliffs Red River Gorge


I loved it that not every steep spot was fenced off.
cliff in Red River Gorge


And wherever you are on a high spot there are awesome views.
view from Koomer Ridge campground


In other news: I edited hard. I worked on some volunteer stuff that has to get finished. I wrote one of my columns. I'll see what more I can get done yet this evening. Surely a little something else. Yesterday evening I finished figuring out which campgrounds are closest to the daily pickup points so we will know when to move camps.

I'm trying to think where that file and map from this trip might be.

See Princess Falls and Fantasyland

No comments: