Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Little Tree and Big Tree

 
It was a cold and snowy day. The cold made the snow good for skiing, finally. One of the best parts about the first snow-covered days of the season is that I usually find a couple of small evergreens coming up in the back field that had been previously hidden in the weeds. Here's a little Scotch pine coming up. These aren't my favorite, but it sure beats more autumn olive. I really treasure each little evergreen that appears in the field. I've planted about 20 white pine back there, and 5 of them are over 20 feet tall. Another 6 or 7 are big enough that they can actually be seen above the weeds in the summer. I just keep picturing it all as a forest and trimming back the berry bushes and weeds that try to choke them out. Several other volunteer pines, mostly Scotch, but a couple of red, and even one white that I didn't plant are holding their own. Horray! Oh yeah, we got a big tree too... the Christmas tree. Sean M. went with Omer to pick one up. We've found a place to get big ones really cheap. Of course that means that they have interesting shapes. This year's is sort of a dogbone.... I'll keep you posted.

See Five New Reasons to be Happy
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!



2 comments:

Rick (Ratty) said...

Great site. Thanks for the note showing me how to get here. I've been letting myself get too busy to remember to check these things out for myself.

jogjashoppingcenter said...

i like this situation, realy beautiful and so peaces