If you like my books, essays, etc. you might want to put your name on this private email list (no spam ever) for advance notices, coupons, and occasional freebies. Tell your friends too! Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Previous gifts include a short story, a poem and a half-off coupon for the newest book. Sign up, and don't miss out!"

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Not Playing Possum

I couldn't get a picture of the best thing from today. I was looking out the kitchen window, and staring back at me was the pointed white face of a little opossum! She had that permanently startled look that all 'possums seem to have (if you've actually seen one that isn't dead in the road). I ran out with the camera, but she (?) lumbered back under the pine trees to her hiding place quicker than I could get there. We've had light fluffy snow all day so even the tracks weren't definitive enough to bother to picture. I hunted for where she might have holed up but it's pretty dense under the pines, and I wasn't willing to work that hard. Maybe she will come out again. 'Possums don't actually hibernate, but they do sleep quite a lot in the winter. Last summer I was lucky enough to find a dead one that hadn't been smashed or chewed on. So I now have an opossum skull in my collection. It is so long and thin that it would be difficult to mistake for some other mammal.

1 comments:

Ratty said...

I had forgotten about all of the possums in this area. I'll have to start looking for one. I'd love to get a picture of one.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin