Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, September 13, 2009

A Fairy Tale in Green and White


Four days ago I was using the riding lawnmower to mow my walking trails through the fields near my house. As I stirred up the tall grasses many insects were flying around and trying to get out of the way. Suddenly, a large, slim fairy, pale and illuminated, as if it somehow was able to surround itself with moonlight even in mid-afternoon, fluttered away. Its wings were long, and it scurried through the warm air, then dropped into the grass, disappearing.

As I continued mowing, more and more fairies sprang away from my noisy and disturbing activity. Each was that eerie pale white, occasionally flashing gold edges from their backs and wings, as if they flickered between sunlight and moonlight. Who were these mystical, enchanting visitors to my field? I'd never seen them before.

The next day I went walking with my camera, thinking that I would capture a fairy in pixel dust. Wrong! You already knew that you can't capture fairies, right? Well, I did see several of them, but when I took a picture, this is what showed up.

grassy area with trees

So, I found out that you can't take a picture of a fairy! The next day I saw more fairies, and the next day too. Today I saw one more.

I did manage to follow several of the little teasers to where they had alighted. But each time I found the landing place, I discovered that the white fairy had disappeared and left a green monster in its place.

Which green monster do you think the fairy became? Tomorrow I'll tell all!

praying mantis

katydid

8 comments:

Mother Goose said...

Fairies are like that. They love to let us know they are here and they tease us constantly. They don't want to leave any proof though. They are frolicsome creatures and you are blessed to have so many near you. Just take care not to become pixilated. Fairies are such fun creatures to tell stories about.

John | English Wilderness said...

It's a shame the fairy photos didn't turn out. I was hoping to look up the fairies in Arthur Spiderwick's Field Guide. :-)

Sharkbytes said...

Mother Goose! My good friend the treeweenie insists that technology has spoiled yet another good word. She loves to use pixilated in it's traditional way! I think the fairy season is winding down, but I did see two of them today.

Hi John- Ah... a wonderful Field Guide... I don't happen to own it, but I drooled on a store copy once.

Gordon said...

At least you have your priorities right. You are mowing hiking trails. My wife wants me to mow the lawn. Sheer foolishness I tell you.

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Oh Gordy! You know me too well. I was indeed mowing the trail before the lawn. The lawn is pretty much beyond hope this year. I whacked down some near the house, but most if it is pretty bad.

Rick (Ratty) said...

I want to see a fairy too now! All I ever see in my meadow are these big ugly clumsy looking dragonflies that like to buzz by a little too close for comfort.

Sharkbytes said...

Oh no, Ratty, you don't like dragonflies? They are some of my favs... they don't even bite. And I feel really stupid... all my years of seeing mantises, and never noticing them fly before.

Rick (Ratty) said...

Actually I love dragonflies. It's just that these that I was referring to really do look big and clumsy as far as dragonflies go.