Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, August 26, 2012

New Tree- Goldenrain Tree

 
Most regular readers know that I think any hike is extra-good if I find a plant I don't know. On this Ohio hike, I found two! I've only identified one of them. It's Koelreuteria paniculata, the Goldenrain Tree.

It's done blooming at this time of year, but the seed pods are as beautiful as the flowers. This tree stuck to the golden color.

goldenrain tree

However, it may also be pink tinged, and I found a nice example of that.

goldenrain tree

Earlier in the summer it would have been covered with yellow blossoms. This tree doesn't grow in Michigan. Northern Ohio is about as far north as it grows.

It's not a native tree. It comes from China and Korea. Thomas Jefferson planted the first seeds of this plant in the United States. They were a gift from Madame de Tessé, the aunt of Lafayette. It's apparently used as an ornamental and street planting, as it tolerates difficult conditions well. I'm betting some of my southern friends would have known it in an instant.

Here are the seed pods dried. I broke one open and found dark seeds about 1/4 inch across.

goldenrain tree

One site I researched said that the seeds can be roasted and eaten. I'd like to try that. If I'd known I could have brought some home.

I'm really stumped on the other plant. Maybe I'll show you tomorrow and see if someone knows it.

See Buckeye Trail- Napoleon Lock to Providence Lock
if you like this blog, click the +1  

8 comments:

Zenserly said...

...the seeds can be roasted and eaten? now that I too would love to try! :-)

Shelly said...

I didn't know that. I'll have to try them.

Rick (Ratty) said...

I never consciously realized it before now, but I've always found seed pods to be extra interesting. I'll have to start investigating them a bit more now.

Ann said...

very interesting seed pods. Do you ever wonder who the first person was to look at one and say "Gee, I wonder what it would taste like if I roasted those seed?" :)

paydayloans said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sharkbytes said...

kulasa- I would want to learn more before trying it, but it sounds interesting.

Shelly- please do a bit more research first

Ratty- Not many plants create inflated pods like this

Ann- I am always grateful for the people who died so that we could know which things were poisonous

RNSANE said...

I'd love to see the tree in the spring time in bloom or when the leaves are changing color. The Asian ginko tree is one of my favorite fall trees, with its brilliant gold leaves.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

What a fascinating discovery! The tree and its seed pods are lovely and I, for one, would be curious to know how palatable they are. If you ever explore that, I hope you'll post it!