Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Unknown Plant- a Stumper

 
Let's go back to the other new plant. I now don't feel so bad that I don't know what it is. It also has a couple of real botanists stumped.

However, it may be a garden escape, or something more southern. So... YOU might recognize it. I have no clue what the blossoms looked like. These are the seed pods.

unknown plant

Here's one opened up with the seed showing.

unknown plant

The plant is about five feet tall with multiple spikes.

unknown plant

See the smooth upper leaves near the seed pods. Well, now look at the lower leaves. They are completely different!

unknown plant

I've eliminated a lot of plant families due to the growth form, leaf arrangement, etc, etc, but it ends up looking to me like an Echinops that grew into a Lobelia and tried to be a Triosteum. Not an option.

All comments welcome. If I don't think your guess is right I'll try to tell you why. We may both learn something.

if you like this blog, click the +1  

5 comments:

rainfield61 said...

I am not an expert.

Shall look for other's answer.

Stephanie V said...

I'm wondering whether it's related to bear's breeches (acanthus). The bottom leave look something like. That's just a guess, though. I'm sure someone out there knows the right answer.

Rick (Ratty) said...

I couldn't even begin to guess. Most plants are a mystery to me. I do hope you find the identity though. A mystery is always fun to try to solve.

spinninglovelydays said...

Sorry to disappoint, but my comment will not bear the answer either, lol - just wanted to say hi :)

Duxbury Ramblers said...

Not familiar to me but I will add my two pennyworth, top leaves remind me of Foxglove, seed deadly nightshade, bottom leaves wild cabbage or any of the brassicas. Hope you find out what it is I am intrigued :)