Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, September 20, 2013

Signage Errors We Enjoy (and the end of summer)

 
Since I'm usually late, I decided to be early this time. Only because the sky was a day early. Tomorrow is the official end of summer. There are so many things to say goodbye to... Since I like all the seasons I rarely bother; it's always hello to the next one.

But this picture (snapped through a dirty windshield at a stop light), made us chuckle today. What do you think? Someone ordered the sign for South Long Lake Road, and instead gave all who wait at that corner to enter the highway and head home a poignant reminder that the vacation is over?

funny street name

And then there's the sky. It has been raining all day, cool and mostly gentle with occasional cloudbursts. Very fall-like. But we get one more pastel sky- more a color of spring than harvest. I'll add this to "Moods of My Backyard."

funny street name

Headed for work in a couple of hours, but tomorrow morning I have no activities I have to get up for. I'm really looking forward to that! Hope you have a wonderful last-day-of-summer Saturday!

See Moods of My Backyard
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


9 comments:

Rick (Ratty) said...

A funny sign and a beautiful scene. Who could ask for anything more? I never like seeing the end of summer though. I wish I could feel more positive about it.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Ah, yes. Today is, for me, the last full day of summer. Tomorrow in the day of seasonal transition and Sunday bring me the first full day of autumn. I love these times of seasonal transformation. It is, indeed, a time of farewells and welcomes!

And that sign ~ too funny. And quite appropriate!

And that "Moods" photo … ::sigh:: … what a beautiful, dreamy scene. Thanks for sharing that!

Secondary Roads said...

Friday night our skies were bright pink. We enjoyed watching them as we ate a late supper. Love that road sign.

Ann said...

oh that sign is too funny. Pretty sky. Enjoy your carefree morning

Unknown said...

The acorns are starting to come on our oak trees now. I wouldn't recognise any of your pictures as oak at all; ours are so different. A fascinating post, thanks.

vanilla said...

The sign could be a poignant reminder that "it's" all over. Great colors in the second photo.

Sharkbytes said...

Ratty- I still like the seasons- hope you enjoy the next one

Chuck- the pink was really interesting, and the cloud cover diffused it

Ann- as you will read, I did!

Jean- different how? Oaks have either points or rounded lobes. Well, chinquapin oak is different I guess

vanilla- and the camera didn't alter it much. It really was like that

The Oceanside Animals said...

hello sharkbytes its dennis the vizsla dog hay that sign is kind of meen to the peepul wot hav to leev the layk beehind!!! altho maybe it just meens the layk is sooooo long no wun can beleev how long it is!!! ha ha ok bye

RNSANE said...

What a kick that sign is. The best one I ever saw was one someone posted on FB. It was on the marquee in front of a church - "honk if you love Jesus. Text if you want to meet him."