Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, November 30, 2014

How's the Cemetery Creek?

 
Today I decided to walk down to the creek. I used to go there nearly every day with Maggie (except in winter- it's too steep to snowshoe). I confess I haven't done as many daily walks since she's been gone. Also, there is a big tree down across my path and it's going to be a lot of work to cut it out.

Cemetery Creek

But, today I worked my way down to the creek. It has no name, and it's only a couple of miles long. I've taken you to the headwater marsh (and learned it's covered in poison ivy, so that's not a good summertime walk). I've followed it to the Pere Marquette River, but it goes through a lot of private property, so I only did that once. And it was before I started blogging.

At any rate, it has water year round, and it's close to home, so I enjoy it. We had a strong warm wind last night so are nearly snowless again. The creek is a little ripple of brown across a sandy bottom nestled in the orange-brown leaves.

Cemetery Creek

The deer sure aren't either good trail builders or environmentalists. Their trail just plunges straight down the bank. I took a more angled route across the face of the gully.

deer trail

This is my favorite shot of the day- a scalloped edging on a patch of ice.

ice edge

See The Midwinter Visit to the Cemetery Creek
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


7 comments:

The Furry Gnome said...

Looks like a great place to explore!

Rick (Ratty) said...

That looks like a wonderful place. It reminds me of the creek at one of the parks I used to visit.

Ann Thompson said...

What a nice spot. I can see how that might be a bit tricky getting down to the water in winter weather

vanilla said...

Pleasant place. I know it is only my imagination, but I can hear the burbling of the brook as I write this.

Lin said...

How nice that you are able to access nature so easily. Looks so peaceful and quiet....

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

So lovely ~ this November landscape of yours. Thanks, as always, for sharing it with us!

Unknown said...

If that is the cemetery by your house it is where Jerimiah pierced my right ear :) as I slipped down the bank.