Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, August 13, 2018

Yellow Hen and Chicks

 
I've showed you this before but not for a long time. This is one of the hens and chicks I have growing all over my garden. There are some that are hardy, and this is perhaps the hardiest. It spreads like wildfire. The rosettes are small- the largest are maybe 2 inches across. I nicknamed it "green star."

sempervivum

Genus Sempervivum, sometimes also known as houseleek. When the rosettes become mature they send up a single impressive scaly stalk with flowers on the end.

sempervivum

A lot of them have pink flowers, but these are yellow. This rosette will then die.

sempervivum

No clue what species it is. There are just too many choices. I was given a handful of these from the Matthaei Botanical Garden maybe 25 years ago. It turned out to be a great filler in my rock garden. Now it's everywhere.

In other news: I worked hard on paperwork from the Writers' Rendezvous, and did errands. Now we have no water. No clue why. I'll call the pump guys in the morning.

See Sempervivum!
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


3 comments:

Loretta said...

My hen and chcks are growing well, but I have never had a long stem with flowers...that is very cool!

Ann said...

I've never had hen and chicks. I guess you could say they go out with a bang since they get that pretty flower before they die

Sharkbytes said...

LOretta- they may... when the plant is mature or rootbound it will flower and die.

Ann- They work well for me... hard to kill them.