Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, February 2, 2019

Canandaigua - Odds and Ends

 
I've "moved" to Canandaigua, NY. Lots here to see. This is just a sampler.

Of course it's defined by Canandaigua Lake, one of the Finger Lakes.

Canandaigua Lake

Loved the pancake ice forming right off the pier.

pancake ice

I'm here with good friends Dan and Ruth. Several more days to spend with them. What a treat! They go for a significant walk every afternoon. With the ice and bad footing, we've only done about five miles each of the last two days!

people looking at a sycamore tree

Canandaigua is stuffed with amazing architecture. One web site says its North Main Street has examples of every major architectural style of the 18th and early 19th centuries. I believe it! I could come here for a week just taking pictures of houses.

This is the Sonnenberg Mansion, built in 1887. It's actually a fenced estate, now open to the public in summer. I'll have to come back.

Sonnenberg House, Canandaigua

This is the oldest of the buildings. It's the Congregational Church, built in 1812. Can't you just see people waiting under that large covered entry for their carriages to pull up to the steps?

Congregational Church Canandaigua

Just for fun, this antique accordion was on display in the music store window. They had it arranged so you couldn't see the buttons side. Bummer.

antique accordion

I did write for a couple of hours today, but it was all organizational and getting the next chapter planned in my head.

See Seneca Park Zoo - Other
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


1 comment:

Ann said...

My ex husband had a friend who used to live there. I've never seen the whole town but back in high school my best friends boyfriend had a cabin on the lake that we stopped at one time