Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, January 11, 2021

Best of 2020- Best Recipe Finds

  There are actually several good recipes that I discovered in the past year. You've recently seen one of them- the banana bread. This is the recipe off the Gold Medal flour bags. It's significantly better than the recipe I'd previously used. I will say that the Gold Medal test kitchens have come up with some great recipes over the years. I have a cookbook, Century of Success, put out by them. There is hardly a recipe in the book that isn't superb. The Christmas pecan sticky buns are from that book. I've used it so much it has fallen apart and now has to be kept together with a ribbon when I'm not actually using it. If you are a long-time real-life friend and remember our big Christmas dinners, the dinner rolls everyone liked also came from that book. banana bread

The next item is really two things. When I was clearing Garlic Mustard in the spring I went looking for something to do with the leaves. It is edible, although you'd have to do a lot of serious munching to eat a meaningful amount. First I made pesto. Garlic Mustard Pesto garlic mustard pesto I used the pesto in a couple of ways. I layered it with cheese for grilled sandwiches. pesto and cheese sandwich

But these savory muffins with pesto and nettles leaves are to die for! Savory Muffins savory muffins

My final find is almost not a recipe. I made it up one night when I wanted some kind of savory crackers, but all we had around was saltines. It's easy and really good. I laid out four saltines on a plate and lightly buttered (oleo, whatever) them. Then I sprinkled them with Mrs. Dash seasoning and microwaved them for 15 seconds. So good! herbed crackers

It was a pretty good year, recipe-wise!

In other news: I finished one editing job and am getting my head in gear for the next one. I participated in an on-line class that took a bunch of time. Then I still wanted to walk, so I decided to try to do my 3-mile loop at a pace of 15 min/mile. I did it!

See Best Recipes- 2019

2 comments:

Ann said...

That banana bread looks really good. Cool idea with the saltines and way cheaper than buying flavored crackers.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Charlee: "Look, Chaplin! Muffins that are named after you!"
Chaplin: "What are you talking about?"
Charlee: "Nettling pest-o!"
Chaplin: "That's not what the post says!"