There was more prep still to do than I anticipated. I had to go over every inch looking for stupid little spots of the old paint like this that had somehow survived the stripping and washing. They all had to be sanded down. I wiped off the residue with a cloth as I went along.
But then, the entire surface had to be gone over with Interlux 333 solvent, which cleans the last of whatever might be there and also helps the paint to adhere. Stinky job. Then at long last, I could paint the undercoat on the portions of the trailer that I didn't paint two years ago.
Things I learned: 1. There are still a bunch of small dings that should have had bondo that I couldn't even see until I hit them with paint- solution- accept that this is a refurbish of a 1985 trailer, and it's not going to be perfect. One only sees this stuff while looking closely. 2. I like the leveling you get much better with the roller than with brushing. You are supposed to "tip" the rolled surface by lightly feathering it with a brush. I'm not sure I'm going to do that. There may be enough bumps in this trailer surface that the slightly pebbled look will help hide them. 3. It takes 2+ hours to paint the entire surface after all the prep for the coat is done.
In other news: David had to head back to GR today. There isn't any other news. I was determined to get this undercoat done, and I succeeded, although I had to do rest-and-cold-drink a few times. I have hopes for the first topcoat tomorrow. But since that's white, it's not going to look any different from what you are seeing here!
| See Scrub-a-Dub
See Day 66 - Learning to Paint