Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Ducks and Pizza - Day 436


The weather today was suitable for ducks, but we hiked anyway.

We had decided that we would have pizza for dinner as our reward for hiking in the rain. That was my battle cry. Whenever I started getting cranky or the ickiness of being wet got to me, I yelled, "Pizza!" and we hiked on.

I've hiked through ferns that were armpit high before. I'm not sure that I'd done ones as tall as I am. For those of you who haven't hiked through wet ferns, they hold buckets of water which they dump on you from the sides in addition to what is falling from the sky. It's like a forest car wash. Or perhaps the literal definition of forest bathing. "Pizza!"
hiker in ferns


Early in the day there were two streams that were marked as fords- I guess they can be deep in the spring, but we didn't have any trouble. This is Silver River, the larger one, and we simply walked across the log. "Pizza!"
hiker crossing a creek


We also walked on the tops of several eskers. This one lent itself to a nice picture.
esker


The trail crosses the Sturgeon River on a road bridge. This river is 106 miles long and flows north to Lake Superior.
Sturgeon River


Yes, this is the same Sturgeon River I walked beside in the winter. I have learned since the day I took this picture that that trail segment was very new, and I was the first hiker to walk it.


We were glad to cross it on a road bridge because that way we could be certain the bridge would be there. Well, pretty certain. Look at all the debris piled up against the bridge from the floods this spring!
bridge with debris piled against it


And how do you eat lunch in the rain and mosquitoes? Under the poncho works quite well. By then, it was raining pretty darn hard. "Pizza!"
hiker huddled under a poncho


The wildlife sighting of the day was snapping turtles laying eggs just on the edge of the road. That's a well-used pull off by the bridge, so I'm not sure what the chances are these eggs will survive, but the turtles were plenty busy. Since the world has plenty of snapping turtles, I'm not sure how sorry I can make myself feel for their poor choice of nest sites. Bill wondered if they were the top of their food chain. I learned that a number of fish, large birds and mammals eat small snappers, but once they are full grown, only alligators, black bears, and alligator snappers (a southern species) will take them on. Supposedly river otters may occasionally kill one hibernating in winter.
snapping turtles laying eggs


Someone left me a message in a register book. There have been quite a few along the way. Such encouragement! "Pizza!"
entry in a trail register book


And what happened later? We are still at the motel. Showers and Pizza!
pizza


Miles today: 10.0. Total miles so far: 4788.8. Miles to go: 26.3.

See Wet, Just Wet

5 comments:

Ellie said...

You guys are amazing! Pizza! is my new battle cry.

Ann said...

Pizza was a good motivator to get through that day.
WOW only 26 miles to go.

Lin said...

Almost there, Joan! Sorry that Mother Nature is making you work so hard for it. Thank goodness for pizza!

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "Did someone say pizza???"

Sharkbytes said...

Ellie- we may only be dogged, but we'll take it.

Ann- it really worked for me!

Lin- She doesn't feel motherly this week.

Lulu- a fellow pizza lover?