Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, June 18, 2023

The Final Steps - Day 439


Eighteen months and eighteen days later. Link below to the beginning of this challenge.

I started from Centerline Road. Bill drew an NCT sign in the road!
NCT drawn in dirt


I left exactly at 11:30 with four of us hiking. But we were joined by others in short order.
hikers


5.6 miles later, we had grown to a group of about 12 people who took the final steps with me into Timber Creek where I began this hike on Dec 1, 2021.
hikers


There, more members of the Spirit of the Woods Chapter of the NCTA, and some trail friends who actually drove quite a long distance to attend, celebrated my completion (at long last) of 4815 miles on the North Country Trail. I used this picture because it includes Chris Loudenslager (taking a picture on the left), the National Park Service Superintendent for the entire trail, who came to congratulate me. The people standing with me are those who were present who hiked more than 50 miles with me.
hiker celebration


Bruce Micinski, president of the Lake County Historical Society, presented me with the first ever Andy Horujko award. He was a man from Lake County who walked from Alaska to the tip of South America in the 1970s. What fun!
presentation of award


After some introductions and stuff, the party moved to the cabin of SPW members, Barb and Scott. We enjoyed a delicious meal. Lots of salads! Made me happy. Lots more visiting with long-time and new trail friends.
potluck dinner


Today I'm just sharing the feel-good completion story. Over the next couple of days I'll do a bit of debriefing of statistics I kept and thanking some people without whom the hike would not have been possible.

Miles today: 5.6. Total miles so far: 4815.0. Miles to go: 0

But, today, I'm ending with a benediction that I did not write, but I wish I had. I've been saving this most of the year to share with you. It reads, "May the quiet fire of God's love arise within you. May its flames of joy and peace enlighten your steps in this world, and may you be like the burning bush, the presence of God for each other, that holy healing light of love, the breath of God made manifest in you."

Most of you know I'm a person of faith, a follower of Jesus. It has been one of my great desires to share this wonderful trail with you, and I know that many of you have found an appreciation for a pathway you knew little about. But it has also been one of my great desires to be like the burning bush, to be a small presence of God to you. Thank you for joining me on this journey.
benediction


See Lake to River
See Days 1-5

12 comments:

Cindy said...

Congratulations! I have enjoyed reading about your goal of completing the NCT since the beginning. Thank you for allowing us to share in this journey of yours. I looked forward to reading your blog every day.

Ellie said...

Congratulations, Joan! I haven't met you, but feel like I have gotten to know you as you allowed so many to share your hike. You are an inspiration and definitely a "burning bush"! I live in Ann Arbor and hike a lot in SE Michigan. Maybe we will meet each other on a trail some day!

Wendy Thomson said...

Wow - just wow. Congratulations, Joan! What a terrific accomplishment!

Ann said...

Congratulations. I've enjoyed following along on your adventure.

Janine Lim said...

Congratulations! What an inspiration you are! Thank you for the beautiful benediction!!

Jan said...

Joan, I am so excited for you. You are the inspiration and role model for every girl and every woman of our age that it doesn't matter what age you are or gender - you can do anything you set your mind to do. I have prayed for you on your journey every day. Every time I feel I can't do something, I tell myself, "If Joan can walk the North Country Trail, you can walk this trail" or whatever! I prayed for your trail angels and all the people who walked with you and helped you along the way. Your blogs have been wonderful. Your pictures helped me feel I was with you. I will never be able to walk long trails, but I feel I have walked this one with you. Thank you for sharing your life.

Your sister in Christ,
Jan

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "Woo-hoo, congratulations! You have walked farther than some people ever travel in their cars, I think. It's an amazing accomplishment!"

Dan said...

Joan, congrats! I’ve been following your blog since Mlive did an article on you as you walked through Yankee Springs. Your observations, photos, insights, and musings have been a pleasure to read. Your flame has burned for many to see. We’ve never met, but I am proud of you. Way to go!

Dan

The Furry Gnome said...

That's astonishing! Congratulations Joan!

Sharkbytes said...

Cindy- thanks for coming along.

Ellie- hope we meet someday

Wendy- sheer determination eventually gets one there, right?

Ann- you've probably read more of my blog posts than any other person.

Janine- you are welcome

Jan- I'm so glad we met and became friends, even though at a distance

Lulu- I'll bet you could walk it!

Dan- thanks!

Stew- I know you wish you could walk the paths and woods again. I hope we meet some day.

Rennae Gruchalla said...

Joan, I am so proud of your accomplishment! I have thoroughly loved following your entire trek and would love to do something like this myself. You are such an inspiration. Now, take a well deserved rest and hope to see you in NY.

Sara said...

Congratulations, Joan! I have read your blog and followed your hike each day (read the story on MLive last year). What an accomplishment and inspiration. Thank you for hiking and sharing along the way. Hopefully this will inspire many more people to volunteer with their local NCT chapter so that the hike will go on =) Again, Congratulations!