Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, June 10, 2023

Not Wet, Wet - Day 433


The day started with a fast walk to O-Kun-De-Kun Falls. It's only 1.5 miles from a highway, and the trail has been improved and hardened, so it's a very popular short hike destination for many people. Fortunately, this popularity hasn't ruined it.
O Kun De Kun Falls


This is the most water I've seen going over it (4th time there), but you can still walk out on the rocks beside and below the falls.


There is a huge suspension bridge over the Baltimore River just below the falls. I think this is one of the first big bridges that was built for the NCT. So we crossed the river dry.
Baltimore River Trail Bridge


The problem was that it rained in the night. An awful lot of the trail miles today were in wetland with tall grasses, ferns, and sedges. We were soaked. And I mean soaked.

When we got to the Middle Branch of the Ontanogan, I was really glad to see another big bridge. I had every expectation there would be since there was no trail alert posted. Nevertheless, I knew the one that was there when I had hiked here before had failed, and I didn't know what it had been replaced with. Answer- a really huge suspension bridge! We wouldn't have gotten across that without being even wetter, and filthier.
Middle Branch Ontanogan River trail bridge


It rained off and on all day, so the vegetation never dried. We were so cold and wet and filthy when we finished that we are now at a motel. I know... wimpy. But here we are, and I'm not especially sad about it. There are only a few mosquitoes in the room.

Miles today: 9.7 miles. Total miles so far: 4760.4.

See Old Victoria

3 comments:

Bob Court said...

Nothing wrong with being warm and dry!

Wish I was there.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Charlee: "We also prefer warm and dry! The warmer and drier the better!"

Ann said...

After a day like that I think I would opt for a motel room and a nice hot shower.