Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Made it to Irene's

 I managed to forget to take a picture with Cindy, where I stayed last night. But the link at the end shows us a year ago. I keep using her for a motel on the way east, but she's always glad to see me.

It was hot, hot, hot, and there was traffic, traffic, traffic. The best event of the drive was seeing an egret near the rest area along Lake Erie.
great egret


I guess I haven't been at this house of Irene's in mid summer before. She has some lovely lilies. This one might be 'White Pixels,' but there are quite a few cultivars that are similar.
white and purple lily


These are (I think) the ones I am missing at home. The color isn't quite as deep, but they are close. Apparently their actual cultivar name is 'Black Falcon.' It's considered an heirloom daylily.
maroon day lily


But this one is the stunner. And it's about 4 feet tall. I think this one is called 'Nettie's Pride.'
Nettie's Pride lily


And Irene and me? Well, we aren't getting younger, but we are still here.
friends


Today was the longest drive. It was a tough one with the heat (I have no air conditioning), but I made it OK, and only in mid afternoon did I break down and buy a drink with ice.

See Yipi, I'm in Yspi

3 comments:

Ann said...

Long drive in heat with no air isn't fun. Glad you made it to your destination. Those lilies are pretty. Love that last one.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "Ooh, our Dada had a car with no air conditioning many years ago! He says he bought it because 'in New York, it's usually winter'. Turns out that's not true ..."

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- yes, lilies were a nice perk!

Lulu- Dada has it mostly right, but this week seems to be hot.