Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, September 3, 2023

Yipi, I'm in Ypsi


I am on my way, and my first stop is in Ypsilanti where I am spending the night with friend, Cindy. Wow! The last time I saw her was 2018. That's crazy. We are featuring the butterscotch chocolate chip cake she made for dessert.
friends


After dinner, we took a walk around the block. It was just the right length. One garden had these huge pink hibiscus. The flower is almost a foot across.
pink hibiscus


We walked through a friend's garden on the way. He must spend a huge amount of time working on this. It's a lovely mix of perennials and annuals.
flower garden


flower garden


I even got to learn something new. I did not recognize these seed pods. It's Clethra, sweet pepperbush or summersweet, probably Clethra alnifolia, a plant I did know, because it's a native wetland shrub. But I'd never seen it at this stage. A wetland site I worked on once planted some of these for landscaping becauase if you picture flower clusters where those pods are you will realize that it has long spikes of fluffy flowers. Really a beautiful shrub, and native. But, for some reason, they weren't happy, and they died, so I never saw the seed pods. Now I know!
clethra seed pods


In other news, the last job I did before leaving home was to trim the birch tree and clean the gutter. It's really not a hard job, but I kept putting it off.


Cindy and I will have most of the morning together, and then I'll be off on the next stage of the journey.

See A Day with Cindy

1 comment:

Ann said...

That cake sure looks good and the garden is beautiful.