If you like my books, essays, etc. you might want to put your name on this private email list (no spam ever) for advance notices, coupons, and occasional freebies. Tell your friends too! Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Previous gifts include a short story, a poem and a half-off coupon for the newest book. Sign up, and don't miss out!"

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Green Teenager

 
I'd been watching a praying mantis egg case on my kitchen steps all winter. A few days ago it disappeared, but I hadn't seen any babies. The babies are about 1/2 inch across. I showed a rather bad picture of one at A Diversity of Wildlife.

Apparently I missed that stage of these babies, but today I found a teenager on my kitchen door. Just one. Maybe he/she ate all the siblings. Yes, they do that. But I hope more of them lived.

praying mantis


They go through several nymph stages before they gain their wings as adults. No wings on this one yet, I think. The body is only just over an inch long.

Do you remember that I caught some flying around? See I Caught a Fairy

if you like this blog, click the +1  

6 comments:

Misha Gericke said...

I guess that the praying mantis is my favorite insect, but as a rule they all freak me out. ;-)

Don't unplug your hub. said...

I didn't realise they could fly!

RNSANE said...

I must admit, there were a few times I could have done away with my brother when we were young ( I'm three years his senior ) - especially when he would start playing his drums as I was on the telephone
( deliberately on his part! ). He did mature into a fine human being.

Great picture. I do hope some of this green fellow/lady ( ? ) has some sibs left.

Lin said...

We happened to be there the day ours hatched--did you see that post??! Gees, they were tiny!!

I haven't seen them lately though--I'm sure they are spread out all over the world at this point. Those are what I call creepy/cool bugs. :)

Ann said...

Well I thought it was bad when my kids would fight, at least they never tried to eat one another :)
It sort of looks like a green bean with legs

Sharkbytes said...

Misha- Mantises seem to look particularly prehistoric!

John- I'd never seen it till a couple of years ago

Carmen- I suspect a few survived. Maybe I'll find them in the field

Lin- I was watching that egg case every day, and I still missed it! I'll have to find your post.

Ann- I like your description!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin