Entries to Win Afghan


If you like my books, essays, etc. you might want to put your name on this private email list (no spam ever) for advance notices, coupons, and occasional freebies. Tell your friends too! Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Previous gifts include a short story, a poem and a half-off coupon for the newest book. Sign up, and don't miss out!"
Winners are: 3rd place- e-book of your choice: Wendy Nystrom. 2nd place- book of your choice, paper or e-book: Sue Ann Crawford. Winner of the afghan: Elaine Hull.

Friday, July 6, 2012

Killdeer

 
I'm on my way to bed in about ten minutes. The day is over and I survived.

But look who I saw this morning! A lovely killdeer.

killdeer

They are so named because that's what their call sounds like, sometimes repeated like "kill-deer, eer, eer" or "kill-dee."

They nest on the ground, and the babies run around as soon as they are hatched. I hope some day I can get a picture of a line of babies with mom. They look like a group in formal wear on the way to a party.

killdeer

I don't know if this one had a nest, but she was acting sort of like she might. They just make a shallow depression in the dirt and lay eggs that look pretty much like stones. They hatch in just a few days.



 Can you find the eggs? Here's a nest I pictured in 1993. You can roll your mouse over the picture for some help.

I love this one! 'Scuse me while I shake my tail!

killdeer

OK, I'm seriously going to bed. Only two more days of paper route.


if you like this blog, click the +1  

8 comments:

betchai said...

wow, that is indeed such a lovely picture of the killdeer.

rainfield61 said...

Killdeer.

Luckily is what their call sounds like, and not what they are going to kill.

Chuck said...

Great shot of the bird. I did spot the eggs before doing the roll-over.

vanilla said...

Killdeer are so much fun to watch!
One nests in the lot across the street from us. Very nice photos.

Ann said...

I saw a lot of those last year, they were apparently nesting in the empty lot next to my house. This year I haven't seen one.

Pat Carroll Marcantel said...

Thanks for giving us this post. I have never seen a killdeer. Perhaps they don't like South Louisiana weather, or perhaps I'm just not observant enough.

Sharkbytes said...

betchai- Do you have them out west?

rainfield- that would be some bird that could kill a deer!

Chuck- good for you

vanilla & Ann- Hooray for spotting nests

Pat- I think you should see them in the winter. They like open fields. Thanks for stopping by!

missing moments said...

Great shots of the killdeer! Looks like she is giving you a warning!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin