Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Model Train Layout 2001-2018

 
Some of you asked to see this layout. I had done several temporary ones prior to this, but this came the closest to being "finished." All that means is that some of the spaces got nicely detailed and some didn't. In my mind, this was only less temporary, because I have a list of the industries and buildings and "stuff" I want on my grand layout. But I need space and money. Ha!

Anyway, this is the best it got. The board is about 3.5 feet by 7 feet. Too small, but it's all the space I had. And yet, it's amazing how much stuff there was in this small area. You have to do that for it to look realistic unless you are going for the open plains look. For that you need N scale.

I was experimenting with various techniques and tools and textures, so that when I do the real thing, I'll have more experience. For sure, it will have some kind of plexiglass cover that can be lowered over it because the dust is just a game killer.

small HO train layout

small HO train layout

Got home late from writers' group, and worked at packing train stuff all day, so I'll just show you a few more pictures of the gas station module from when it was clean and new. I really was pleased with it. Kevin (my train buddy) said it might have been good enough to win an award, but that's not why I do it.

HO scale gas station transition era

HO scale gas station transition era

HO scale gas station transition era

In other news: I wrote a chapter, spent ALL afternoon packing stuff, and then had writers' group. Full day.

See Goodbye Small World
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

4 comments:

Ann said...

That's a nice setup and I still love that gas station

Lin said...

WOW! You ARE good at that! So...where are you storing this now? Such a shame to put it away...but I totally get the space and dust thing.

John Sealander said...

Wow. You got a lot further with your layout than I did with mine. This is very nice. I hope you keep it...

Frank Michlick said...

Great one, I really like this layout.