Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Slices of this Century

 
We had a nice laid-back day. No one did anything special, but it was relaxing.

I did get the craft project I bought pieces for yesterday up to date. Since 2001 we've been saving a small slice of the base of the Christmas tree trunk and making these banners. I needed more ribbon and bows, which I found. (If you count, yes, one is missing. We were so broke that year we decorated a small fake tree). If you can't read the dates, they go right to left and top to bottom.

So the trees are getting smaller. We are getting older and less tough. What can I say?

slices of tree trunks on ribbon

Find the largest slice. Got it? Here's how that tree came home in 2006. We've had a lot of good laughs about this. We did get stopped by the police within sight of the house, and I talked him into letting us come the rest of the way home by rearranging a few branches. (We took all back roads and I drove very slowly, but the last half mile had to be on the highway to get to the driveway.)

large Christmas tree on car

This is something we wish we would have thought of decades ago. These trees are nothing compared to what we used to have. The tallest tree we can even fit now is about 11 feet. However, in our old house we could have, and did have, an 18-foot tree every year. Those bases were often 8 inches in diameter. It would be neat to have some of them on banners to display for old times sake.

Tonight, Om and I are both going in to work at the paper on the big pre-Thanksgiving issue.

In other news: I did get a chapter written before anyone else came to life this morning. And we treated ourselves to Brenda's Burgers.

if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


3 comments:

Ann said...

What a neat project. I've heard of people using clices off past trees as ornaments also.
I bet it was pretty hard to see out that window. Good job on talking the cop into letting you continue home with it.

Lin said...

Oh my gosh...you had me laughing with the photo! LOVE the idea of saving the bottom of the tree. Joe does that, but he tosses it in the garden each year. He gets so happy when he sees them in the yard each summer.

Secondary Roads said...

What a creative tradition that keeps memories alive. It's been many a year since we've had a biological tree for Christmas. Now we use a ceramic unit that Sylvia's mother made for us. It brings back fond memories of a wonderful woman.